Rating: 70/100Every fall, Apple comes up with a new glamified edition of it’s mobile device- the iPhone.This year, Apple has wrapped the covers of its much awaited Iphone 7. Lots of rumours and specs made their way on the internet just as was expected before any Apple event. Yes, some of them were true, the 3.5mm audio jack is gone and Apple has also launched wireless Air Pods. The 16 GB base variant is also gone and the the storage range now stands at 32GB, 128GB and 256GB.Is the new iPhone worth all the buzz? Let’s find out..
Water Proofing the phone has been a welcome addition to the Iphone 7. Even the sound quality has improved as the iPhone 7 now sports stereo speakers. The phone feels sturdy to hold and retains the same solid build feel that iPhones have been known for. It also gets two new colors – Jet Black and Matte Black along with the usual Rose Gold, Silver and Gold.Powering the iPhone 7 is a new A10 Fusion chipset along with 2GB of RAM. The bigger iPhone 7 Plus uses the same A10 Fusion chipset but gets 3GB of RAM. Another added feature on the iPhone 7 Plus is the dual camera setup with a 12 MP six element lens image sensor with optical image stabilization. Both the phones now get a bigger battery as well. The iPhone 7 now has a 1960 mAh battery whereas the iPhone 7 Plus now sports a 2900 mAh battery.
WHAT’S NOT SO GOOD?
Well, the design is very much identical to the last iPhone and there is no solid differentiating ‘wow’ factor that sets apart the iPhone 7 from its predecessors. Also, getting used to the whole “no headphone jack’ phenomena will take some time and using your phone to play music through conventional speakers would be a pain (you’ll have to carry the lightning port to 3.5 mm jack with you).
SHOULD I BUY ONE?
If you are an Apple fanboy and have that extra bit of cash piled up, then the new iPhone is worth the upgrade. Buying the iPhone 7 Plus also makes more sense now as it is more than just a bigger screen with the dual camera setup which puts it way ahead in the premium smartphone league. It isn’t a huge upgrade over the iPhone 6S, but like any new iPhone, it has got enough oomph to keep you excited.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
iPhone 7 32 GB- Rs. 60,000iPhone 7 128 GB – Rs. 70,000iPhone 7 256 GB – Rs. 80,000iPhone 7 Plus 32 GB – Rs. 72,000iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB- Rs. 82,000iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB- Rs. 92,000Also, if you don’t have an iPhone, you don’t have an iPhone.
SPECS for NERDS
- Water-proof metal unibody with redesigned, less-obtrusive antenna strips
- 4.7″ 16M-color LED-backlit IPS LCD of 750 x 1334 px resolution, 326ppi, wide color gamut, 3D Touch tech
- Pressure-sensitive Home key powered by a brand new Taptic Engine
- Quad-core (2+2) 64-bit Apple CPU, hexa-core GPU, 2GB of RAM, Apple A10 Fusion SoC
- 12MP F/1.8 camera with a quad-LED flash, optical image stabilization, phase detection autofocus, wide color capture, face and body detection; [email protected] video recording
- 7MP F/2.2 front-facing camera with BSI sensor and HDR mode, [email protected] video
- 32, 128, and 256GB of built-in storage
- Second-gen Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- 4G LTE Cat.12 (600Mbps); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; Bluetooth 4.2; Lightning port; GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS; NFC (Apple Pay only)
- 1960 mAh Battery